My Blog

Welcome! What is this blog for/What will be blogged here? Well, frankly, only time will tell that ... ;-) The plan is to have stuff like ... what I plan to do/Interesting things that I want to share. My interests and hobbies ... and what I'm doing/not doing for it. Random thoughts/Opinions. Just about anything I feel like writing! have fun!

Sunday, June 27, 2004

In the Spirit of C.

Just read an Artima article titled In the Spirit of C. Its been a while since I programmed in C/C++ - it was fun to do that, both in College and Work. After I started with java at work, I have lost touch with C/C++.

This is an interesting article by Greg Colvin about the evolution of BCPL, B, C, C++ and java.

It bases its analysis on the facets on the spirit of C as documented in the first ANCI C standard:

  1. Trust the programmer.

  2. Don't prevent the programmer from doing what needs to be done.

  3. Keep the language small and simple.

  4. Provide only one way to do an operation.

  5. Make it fast, even if it is not guaranteed to be portable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home